Shanshan's blog_learning design

Community Contributions for Post #1

Hi Yiran,

I totally agree with your thoughts. I had the same education experience as you had. When I was young, I remembered for the most of time I learned something by doing it repeatedly. In the process of learning , teacher or parents would correct me if I was doing it wrong. From time to time, the response become automatic. For my own experience, constructivism is also applied when I studied in China. When I was in middle school, we had to learn Biology and Chemistry. There are labs every week where we are formed into group of 2, and doing all kinds of experiments and observations. The whole learning process is controlled by students, and students could get help when they needed. Overall, I think when students could experience different approach of learning, learning would become more engaging.

Hi Ziming,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! I remembered when I first learn to swim, my coach asked us to practice the movement on the floor over and over again until we got skilled. I am sure you also experienced, which I believe it is also a learning approach of behaviorism. I think behaviorism is used the most in the beginning when I start to learn new things we’ve never been exposed to before, such as a new language and a new skill. On the other hand, cognitivism is more like an approach that leading learners to create their own learning process. I personally love this learning approach as I could always have a deeper understanding of what I am expected to know. Overall, I think you gave some great example of behaviorism, cognitivism, and constructivism.